Java Games and Apps
Back in 2001, I began developing some Java apps after finishing my Intro to Java class. The class didn't go far
enough into actually making a functionning application since it was just about covering concepts and syntax, so I took it upon myself to make some. I
made several but ran into basic problems of creating computer player AI for the games. All of the projects were scrapped as I started learning
PHP and MySQL and turned to web programming instead.
This is a utility for planning the floor arrangement of furniture in a room. Wall-placement is highly simplified as I focused on corners instead of the
walls themselves. Still, even in its very early development stage, I've found it useful over the years.
Rectangles and ovals can be added and removed from a scalable grid. The room is constructed by adding corners. Both furniture and corners can be dragged
around. Furniture can be rotated, recolored, resized, and renamed. The room arrangement can be saved to a .furn file (formatted as XML).
version 0.3 (62KB)
Release notes (2001 Nov 24)
- Prettier buttons on left panel's tool bar
- Got rid of left panel's zoom and moved right pane's zoom to tool bar
- Can now change background colors
- Furniture can now be ovals as well as rectangles
version 0.2 (51KB)
Release notes (2001 Nov 20)
- Improved working directory option for file saving and opening
version 0.1 (48KB)
Release notes (2001 Nov 13)
- Walls are extremely editable
- New, Save, and Open functionality
- No windows and doors yet
version 0.0 (40KB)
Release notes (2001 Oct 29)
- Add as many items as you like
- Can move items between left pane and the room
- Zoom capabilites
- Ability to change properties of each item
- Walls aren't friendly to manipulate yet
- Many features aren't implemented yet
Queen of Spades (Dame de Pique)
I wanted to make a card game app for the French game my grandmother taught me. I didn't finish enforcing all the rules. I also never started the computer
player AI, which I realized would be quite difficult.
version 0.1 (113KB)
Release notes (2001 Oct 12)
- Computer is still an idiot
- Tabs are colorful
- Fixed score table (added scores incorrectly)
- Fixed adding cards to existing table pile (bug when the new pattern was not valid)
version 0.0 (112KB)
Release notes (2001 Sep 16)
- Computer is an idiot
- Not all the rules are enforced
I used to play a lot of Dragon Warrior. I wanted to see if I could make a game similar to it, but I never got too far. I left off in the middle of a major
code rewrite that addressed the random walk of other characters on the map. The last version doesn't have some of the cooler functionality of the earlier
versions because I stopped development.
Character creation, name (v0.3)
Character creation, appearance (v0.3)
Talking in town (v0.1)
Outside world (v0.2)
version 0.3 (63KB)
Release notes (2002 Jul 20)
- This is the current working version of the game.
- Major code redesigning is about complete. Original functionality has almost returned.
version 0.2 (68KB)
Release notes (2002 May 27)
version 0.1 (65KB)
Release notes (2002 May 26)
- Able to sell pots to a merchant.
- I'm still working on the underlying structure of the game.
version 0.0 (61KB)
Release notes (2002 Mar 18)
- Hero can walk around island and talk to people.
- Other people can't walk due to thread problems.
- Little plot and no development yet.
- Still very early in production.