Added: 2009 Oct 07 (Wed)
Total cook time: 01 hour 10 minutes
1. In a medium pot, simmer lentils in water with bay leaves and a carrot for 20-25 minutes. Add water to keep lentils barely covered.
2. In a big skillet, heat oil and butter. Add onion, garlic, salt, and pepper. Sauté covered for 20 minutes.
3. In large pot, bring salted water to boil and add kale. Boil uncovered for 5-8 minutes.
4. Transfer kale to colander with tongs. Press lightly to drain. Keep large pot covered and boiling.
5. Chop kale and add to onions. Add lentils with liquid.
6. Simmer mixture, stirring, for 1 minute. Add some salt and pepper.
7. Add pasta to large pot (that has kale-cooking liquid). Boil uncovered until al dente.
8. Drain pasta in colander. Add pasta to lentil and onion mixture. Cook over high heat for 1 minute.