Added: 2011 Aug 12 (Fri)
Total cook time: 45 minutes
1. Roast sweet potato in oven until soft and caramelized.
2. In a skillet, sauté the chopped onion in some of the oil until also caramelized.
3. Add the rinsed black beans and season with cumin and chili powder. Heat on medium heat until satisfied.
4. Pop the sweet potato out of its skin and into a bowl. Add cinnamon and cayenne and mash it up.
5. Add the sweet potato mash to the skillet and mix. Continue heating for a minute or two so everything mixes together. Taste and season to adjust things if you need to.
6. Heat some oil in another skillet.
7. Spread cheese thoroughly on a tortilla. Spread on mixture from skillet. Cover with a second tortilla. When oil is heated, add this stack to the skillet. Cook both sides as you like.
8. Remove and add whatever toppings. Eat.
Sour cream and avocado work well with this, as does adding Swiss chard or kale.
Also, the cheese can be successfully replaced with vegan cream cheese.
It may take another couple quesadillas to finish everything off.