This is a story of diversifying the species in a yard in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I wanted to undo some of the damage that was done by replacing native species with exotic species. Few birds, few butterflies, constant maintenance (weeding, mowing, watering), complete disregard of the environmental uniqueness of place. I figured I could do better.
2013 August 18 (Sun)
I finished hoeing all the areas I was planning to on Friday. Today, I moved the bricks from the firepit area and then went back and re-hoed everything to mix up more of the roots to try to dry them out. I'm wondering how effective this method is going to be. I know some roots will remain viable. Then there are the dormant seeds hanging around.
2013 August 4 (Sun)
My hoe came in earlier this week. Today, I got to use it. I hoed the chicken yard and a good bit of the future wetland. This was not easy in 95°F, high-humidity weather. The hoe was super sharp and was working out really well, but I hit some gravel or something at various points. The edge now has some dents. I'll need to buy a file.
2013 July 28 (Sun)
2013 July 20 (Sat)
Today was the day to scalp some turf grass in preparation of my hoeing next month (or so), which I'll be doing instead of tilling. I dropped the mower and went at it. I went slowly to give grasshoppers a chance to hop away. Then I moved the stepping stones to what may or may not be their final locations. I just placed them on top of the ground without digging. I think I'll level a couple of them later on when I decide it's good.
2013 July 7 (Sun)
2013 July 6 (Sat)
2013 July 4 (Thu)